Sitecore 6.6 is officially not supported for Windows 8. As per SDN, Sitecore supports Windows 8 with Sitecore CMS 7.0 and forward.
Here is another way to install the Sitecore 6.6 in Windows 8 instance.
There are two options to install Sitecore in Windows machine.
- EXE installation checks the IIS version and if it is IIS8 (windows 8), it throws error saying IIS is not supported.
- ZIP with files and databases is another way to install Sitecore in Windows machine. The later one helps to install the Sitecore when IIS is not supported.
CMS Installation Guide explains the steps to do to complete the installation from ZIP file.
- Extract the .zip archive in a folder
- Set permission for ‘/Website’ folder with Read access. User: IUSR
- Set permission for ‘/Website’ and ‘/Data’ folder with Modify access. User: Network Service.
- Create an Application pool with .net framework 4.0 (or 4.5), Identity: NetworkService.
- Create a website with root folder to website.
- Add a host (C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts) entry for the local access and browse the site.
Before that, asp.net should be registered in IIS. Unlike IIS7, asp.net should be registered in "Turn Windows Features On or Off" in Programs and Features of Control Panel. You can select the asp.net in the list and click Ok to register it in IIS8.
After the setup, you can work on Sitecore 6.6 in Windows 8.